As a parent, I know that it is difficult to guide our children on how should they properly take care of their oral health. We are having a hard time to teach them how to brush, floss and eat a healthy and a well-balanced diet. Trust me, you’re not alone! Dentists would often tell us that we should monitor our child’s teeth right after they are born. That’s why it is important that we should start teaching them the proper oral hygiene as young as they are.
As a parent, it is very important to have our child’s first dental appointment whenever their first set of teeth appears. This is important as this could help you and your child’s periodontist or their pediatric dentist to monitor your child’s current tooth health and be able to predict future dental problems. The best way to avoid such dental problems is to bring your child as early as they are to a pediatric dentist. Here are some ways to protect your child’s teeth:
– Avoid giving them sugar-rich foods. This is the root cause of having tooth decay.
– Teach your child the proper way to brush his/her teeth with the use of a soft-bristle toothbrush along with a pea-sized, fluoride-rich toothpaste every after meal.
– Feed your child healthy and nutritious food that will keep their gums and teeth strong and healthy.
– Avoid blowing your child’s food whenever you are feeding them as you are transferring mouth bacteria to their food.
– Don’t let your child suck their thumb as this can cause misalignment of teeth and changing their bite.
– Ask your child to join you whenever you are brushing and flossing your teeth. This does not just gives them motivation and encouragement, but also shows your child that brushing and flossing are very important to one’s oral health.